Salty, smoky trout is a healthy and delicious main dish or snack. However, it can also be a bit extravagant as it tends to be expensive when bought ready-made.
The good news is that wild trout is available in the market, is much cheaper, and is easy to smoke at home.
When homemade, the smoked trout has a delicious flavour, making it an excellent dish that can be served by itself or with other delicious accoutrements. You can also use it to prepare a tasty and creamy trout dip.
Ensure that you brine the trout before smoking it. Brining can be quite time-consuming and usually takes over an hour, but its incredible effect on the trout’s flavour makes it worthwhile.
Try this recipe to make the best homemade trout.
You will only require five simple ingredients when brining the trout. These ingredients are:
- Trout fillets – the best trout to go for is wild trout, which has a richer flavour.
- Black pepper
- Brown sugar
Additionally, you will need the following ingredients for the trout dip:
- Cream cheese
- Trout fillets – the fillets should be prepared beforehand and then allowed to cool to RTP
- Spicy mustard
- Sour cream
- Onion powder
- Fresh dill
How To Make Brined, Smoked Trout
There are only three straightforward steps that you need to follow when brining and smoking trout. These simple steps will give you tender, flaky, and delicious smoked trout.
- Transfer brown sugar and salt into a 9” by 13” baking dish using a measuring pitcher.
- Add four cups of lukewarm water into the baking dish
- Stir until completely dissolved
- Take the solution prepared above and pour it over the fillets
- Ensure that you cover the fillets fully in the brine
- Use a plastic cover to cover the fillets
- Refrigerate the fillets for up to four hours
- Drain the brine
- Preheat your smoker (180 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Place the fillets in the smoker
- Sprinkle black pepper onto the fillets
- Shut the lid.
- Smoke your fillets for approx 90 minutes or until firm
Serve warm. Alternatively, you can let the smoked trout cool before you store it for preservation. Transfer the fillets into an airtight package and refrigerate for about two weeks.
If you want to freeze the trout, use plastic wrap to wrap each fillet before placing them in airtight containers. Freeze for approximately one year.
Making The Smoked Trout Dip
- Follow all the instructions above to make brined, smoked trout
- Pick four trout fillets
- Peel the trout’s skin
- Using a fork, break the trout down
- Place the trout into mixing bowls
- Mix with sour cream, cream cheese, capers, mustard, onion powder, and dill
- Stir to combine fully
Serve the dip with fresh-cut vegetables or crackers. You can also enjoy the dip on toast or bagels.
Ensure that the dip is refrigerated in an airtight container when storing. Use it within five days and avoid freezing.
Classic Accoutrements For The Smoked Trout
You can top the brined, smoked trout with sliced red onion, salty capers, and chopped dill for a rich and excellent flavour.
Additional Serving Suggestions
You can serve your smoked trout with a delicious salad, bagels, cream cheese, homemade sandwiches, and eggs Benedict.